Draft Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 18 September 2017
320 Present Cllrs R Jackson (Chair), B Taylor (Vice-Chair), D Clark, A Alcock & C Newton
321 In Attendance RBC Cllr T Combellack, NCC N Clarke, CBPC Clerk N Mayglothling and 5 Parishioners
322 Apologies for non-attendance Cllr K Parker and Cllr R Thomason
Cllrs Taylor & Alcock repeated personal apologies for missing the previous (July) meeting
Cllr Taylor questioned why meetings were not on a six week cycle as he had actually attended the Village Hall on the wrong week. Cllr Taylor was reminded that meetings were scheduled as agreed in September 2016, as notified on each Agenda and Minutes and displayed on Village Noticeboards. For logistical reasons (including several Bank Holidays) Parish Council meetings are not necessarily held every six weeks, but as per the agreed agenda.
323 Declaration(s) of Interest(s) from Members in Matters scheduled for discussion: None recorded
324 Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 31 July 2017; Confirmed and signed as such by Cllr Jackson
Cllr Taylor Requested that the widely-accepted abbreviations of NCC & RBC be written in full in future Agendas and Minutes to avoid any potential for confusion.
Cllr Taylor Highlighted that St Mary(‘)s Church requires an apostrophe.
325 Matters arising from the Minutes of 31 July 2017
a) M302 Village Sign & Jubilee Walk plaques (Colston Bassett History & Jubilee Groups)
Cllr Newton Requested the correct process of naming the walk by the Parish Council be agreed.
Following discussion it was agreed the name was appropriate for the intended plaque
Proposed Cllr Jackson Seconded Cllr D Clark AGREED identified as Jubilee Walk
Members of the History & Jubilee Groups have met with an agreed local supplier to discuss the style, installation and potential costs of an appropriate Jubilee Walk plaque and will aim to report findings & proposals to the next Parish Council meeting. Work on an explanation of the Village Sign is ongoing.
b) M311 Road Titles (Cllrs Jackson and Newton) Cllr Jackson has consulted Adam Smith from Rushcliffe Borough Council (RBC) who is happy to visit the village to discuss road names. Cllrs Jackson & Newton to meet with Adam Smith asap (as soon as possible).
c) M313 Local Highways Defects; NOTED the list of defects has been sent to District & County Councillors. It was noted by Cllr Taylor that there are several new potholes developing near the junction of Springhill / New Road. The Clerk reminded those present that they should please report such matters directly to the appropriate authorities and not wait to initially report them via the Parish Clerk or at Meetings, as that only delayed the reporting process & was not part of the Clerk’s duties.
d) M315 £50 September 2017 Duck Race (Reported by the Clerk on behalf of the Duck Race Group)
The Parish Council were thanked for their financial donation towards the recent event on the Smite and in turn the Parish Council congratulated the organisers of the highly successful 2017 Duck Race that had been held the previous day. The Borough and County Councillors were also thanked for their attendance and support. A full report will be circulated for the next meeting and notice included in the Village Update. Initial indications are that the 2017 event appears to have raised a considerable sum to support the Village Hall. The Wandering Duckling Cup, awarded to the sponsor of the last duckling home in the six-hundred strong entry for the Ducklings Derby, was “won” this year by Perpetual Paddler The Third and presented to the Chair to pass on to duckling-sponsor Cllr Roger Thomason.
326 Parishioners Question Time No additional matters were raised
327 County and District Council Updates (RBC Cllr Combellack & NCC Cllr Clarke)
i) Rushcliffe Borough Council (RBC) Cllr Combellack raised the issue over correctly handling declarations of interest and noted that one Neighbourhood Plan had stalled over the handling of this
declaration-issue correctly. It was noted that Mr Glen O’Connell will be talking on this issue at the next Rushcliffe Open Forum at the Civic Centre on Thursday 9th November, which all Parish Councillors were invited and encouraged to attend. Currently the Colston Bassett Neighbourhood Plan Working Group (CBNPWG) includes a declaration of interest item logged on each of their meeting Agendas & Minutes as was initially advised as good practice by the Consultants.
AGREED THAT G O’Connell could be invited to address the Parish Council and NP group on this issue. (Clerks Note; Mr O’Connell is confirmed as attending to brief interested parties at 7pm on December 11 2017 and Members of the CBNPWG have been invited to attend this meeting too)
ii) Notts County Council (NCC) NCC Cllr Neil Clarke mentioned the additional funding in place for road repairs and will be putting requests into the “bidding-pot” for this area in the near future, so any new items/concerns should be passed to him asap. Replacement Finger Posts at road junctions are also being considered for future funding. The 2017 Cycling Tour of Britain got as far as Newark but consideration is now being given to encouraging future events to run into and through Rushcliffe in future years. The likelihood of additional cyclists passing through the village (very quickly) was greeted warmly as it might lead to the many much-required repairs and resurfacing works being done.
Cllr Newton asked what might happen about the impending loss of the Lime Kiln bottle-bank / recycling centre when the Lime Kiln Pub closes and becomes a Day Nursery within the next month or so. Cllr Clarke offered that only if a new space was volunteered could the Council look to site any replacements, so encouraged informal approaches be made by Parish Councillors to/with potential hosting-sites within the parish.
Fly-Tipping on New Road was also noted and the County Council are still looking to find an appropriate site to replace the loss of the now-privately-owned former County Council tip at Langar.
It was suggested by Cllr Taylor that the Parish Council might consider contributing to local landowners costs upon consideration of each approach from any private landowners suffering fly-tipping, but it was also noted that the high- and recurrent-costs of making such an offer probably also mitigated against being able to deliver on it. The use of fixed cameras via liaison with the Environment Agency was also noted as a possible deterrent option, although the widespread nature of current fly tipping around the numerous local lanes probably and regrettably made this unmanageable.
Following the discussion on fly-tipping Cllr Taylor also requested a litter pick be held, but that he was unable to organise or lead it. In that absence the Clerk offered to organise and lead a Village Litter Pick as soon as possible. CLERK
Cllr Clark asked the Clerk to pursue Cllr Clarke for information on Lengthsmans Schemes CLERK
328 Colston Bassett Neighbourhood Plan (CBNP) Working Party (WP) Updates
CBNP Working Party Members reported that three Theme Groups had been formed, focussing on Housing, Environment and a combined Community & Local Economy group. Around a dozen parishioners are actively and regularly contributing, with each group having met at least twice with an aim that each group will contribute to a final questionnaire. The CBNPWP met on 29 August to review group activity to date and are happy to report that the CBNP is still on schedule.
An Environmental Inventory is ongoing and will help shape important / potentially protected open spaces ranked against nine agreed criteria. A Transport Survey is also ongoing, collecting empirical evidence on traffic flow. The Draft CBNP Questionnaire is likely to be ready by November. All Businesses within the Parish have also been invited to a meeting on 17th October and a separate meeting with the Agent for the Estate has been arranged. The WP wished to pass on their thanks to all parishioners for their help in this process to date and to the Parish Council for the help and support given to the overall process by the Parish Clerk.
The WP Treasurer reported on CBNP Finance. Originally a Locality grant of £4.2k was put in place but that has a six month spending window (expiring in December 2017). A new Awards for All £7k grant from the National Lottery (with no time limit) has also been successfully applied for. An estimate on additional Consultancy costs for helping compile, deliver & assess the questionnaire element is now being considered and a quote is awaited.
The Parish Council thanked all volunteers for their efforts and contributions, which are much appreciated by all.
329 Report of the Village Hall Management Committee (VHMC) Representative (Cllr Newton)
Cllr Newton reported there had been no recent meetings of the Village Hall Management Committee
330 Financial Matters
a) Payment of Items notified as falling due before 30 September 2017
The Parish Council NOTED the following items for appropriate settlement.
i) Community Accounting Plus Payroll; Administration Costs
A change to a monthly Direct Debit from the CBPC Current Account: noting appropriate authority to establish a Direct Debit (£15.60 pcm taken on or around the 25th of each month).
ii) PWLB half-yearly Village Hall repayment; D/D £528.86 due 25 September 2017
The Parish Council APPPROVED the following items for payment
iii) Q2 Clerk Salary PAYE element payable to HMR Chq 113 £94.20
iv) Q2 Clerk Salary & expenses, payable to N Mayglothling Chq 114 £437.92
(Contracted 17hrs 20m / month; July; 33hrs, August; 30hrs, Sept; 22hrs to Sept 18)
b) Outcome of the 2016-17 Annual Return & Accounting Process (External Audit)
The Parish Council NOTED the satisfactory closure of the 2016-17 accounts with Grant Thornton
c) The Parish Council NOTED Account Statements presented by the RFO & Internal Auditor
i) NatWest Current September Statement £20,008.14
(Outstanding Items / Cheques) nil
(Neighbourhood Plan balances) (Locality) (£2,400.00)
(A4A Award) (£7,000.00)
ii) NatWest Reserve September Statement £10,796.51
iii) Co-Op Defib Last Statement £1,486.51
d) The Parish Council NOTED the Finance Advisory Group Meeting due on Monday 16 October at 7pm and AGREED the Finance Advisory Group Membership. In line with the Finance Regulations the following were elected to join the Chair on the 2017 Finance Advisory Group. Cllr Alcock proposed by Cllr Clark seconded by Cllr Jackson Cllr Clark proposed by Cllr Alcock, seconded by Cllr Jackson As per Finance Regulations the Internal Auditor (Neil Gledson) & Responsible Financial Officer (the Clerk) will be in attendance.
e) The Parish Council NOTED the closure of the NatWest Bingham Branch and the problems of access to banking-in-person that this would cause the Clerk and any new signatories with a move to the West Bridgford Branch. The Clerk had investigated a possible move to online banking; this would involve authority for a single operator working on behalf of the Parish Council (as effectively currently in place for current off-line accounts) to be signed off on appropriate forms by all signatories (currently all Parish Councillors) & then to operate accounts as currently with the authority of at least two Parish Councillors. During discussion Cllr Taylor espoused his opposition to online banking and suggested the Clerk should attend the West Bridgford NatWest as and if required during banking / working hours regardless of practical time and work-commitments. Cllr Newton also received clarity on Standing Order compliance. At the conclusion of discussions it was RESOLVED to allow the Clerk to pursue online banking options, as had previously also existed. (CLERK)
f) The Parish Council approved funding for their 2017 Remembrance Day Wreath. Following discussion the Parish Council decided not to pursue funding any Lamp-post Poppies in 2017.
331 Planning Applications: *17/01952 & 17/02003 were available to view prior to the meeting
a) Planning Application(s) submitted and considered prior to the meeting
NOTED that the Parish Council had previously consulted & submitted a response on the following; 17/01849/FUL; Tanglewood, 5 Hall Grounds Drive; Rear Ground-Floor Extension; NOT OBJECT
b) Planning Decisions: The Parish Council NOTED the following outcome:
17/01657/FUL: Home Farm, Harby Lane CBPC Support RBC (Allowed)
c) Planning visit. The Parish Council noted that Cllr Newton & the Clerk had also attended a site-meeting at Home Farm, Harby Lane with the owners of Roses Farm on 20 August, with regard to parishioners concerns around the ongoing development of Home Farm and further noted that a report on that visit had been circulated previously to all Parish Councillors.
d) Planning Appeal. The Parish Council considered the National Appeal made against the “Refuse Permission” decision made by Rushcliffe with regard to land adjacent to the Martins Arms on School Lane, considered comments (previously circulated) submitted by a local resident and discussed if there was a desire to submit any further comments. Following discussion it was decided to reinforce support for appropriate development of the School Lane site. ACTION CLERK
e) New Planning Applications*
i) 17/01952/FUL: White Beams Rear Extension, Front Porch & Fencing; Following brief discussion it was decided to fully SUPPORT this application
ii) 17/02003/FUL: Tanglewood Extension and rebuilding of Outbuildings; Following discussion of ongoing and well-voiced local concerns around the developments on Hall Grounds Drive it was decided there were no material grounds evident on which to object, so the Parish Council would record a comment to NOT OBJECT to this application
332 Other Matters & Communications of relevance or urgency received prior to the meeting.
i) 30mph Bin Signs were deemed unlikely to influence speeding cars in the village. Anyone wishing to purchase individual signs themselves can approach the Clerk for a source of these signs.
ii) Countryside Alliance (Rural Enterprise Nominations) It was AGREED that The Martins Arms & Colston Bassett Dairy should both be nominated as appropriate for the Countryside alliance Rural Enterprise “Countryside Oscar CLERK
333 Councillors Urgent Items (notified to The Clerk or Chair as appropriate prior to the meeting)
No Matters not reported elsewhere in these Minutes were raised
334 Next meetings –
Finance: Monday 16 October 2017 Colston Bassett Village Hall, 7pm
Council: Monday 30 October 2017 Colston Bassett Village Hall, 7pm
Council: Monday 11 December 2017 Colston Bassett Village Hall, 7pm*
*The December Meeting will be led by a presentation on Declarations of Interest
With thanks to all participants the Parish Council Meeting closed at 8:19pm
(Clerks Note: Since this meeting but prior to release of these Draft Minutes Cllr Roger Thomason has tendered his resignation from Colston Bassett Parish Council, effective as of Tuesday 19 September 2017. As he no longer resides nor works within the Parish of Colston Bassett he felt it inappropriate to continue to represent the views of local parishioners. The statutory process of official vacancy notification and replacement is now ongoing.)